Mammography is a fast, painless and accurate method used in mammology to diagnose breast diseases. Unlike ultrasound, a mammogram allows you to not only detect a tumor, but to see its size and determine the nature. Using this method, it is possible to detect a tumor in the early stages and to prevent a breast disease.
The study is comfortable, does no harm and takes only 10 minutes. The Planmed Nuance mammography unit provides excellent image quality with minimal patient exposure.
When conducting certain types of mammographic examinations, the patient needs special preparation:
- Mammography is performed from 5 to 12 days of the menstrual cycle; women in menopause, in the absence of menstruation or with an irregular cycle - on any day of the cycle.
- On the day of the study, the patient should not apply deodorizing agents and powder to the skin of the axillary areas.
- If the patient has breast implants, it is necessary to warn the staff of the mammography office in advance so that the study is carried out by a specialist who is familiar with the radiological features of the implants.
- The patient should be warned that after the end of the study she will have to wait for the doctor to make sure that the images are of satisfactory quality.
- Before the study, the patient should remove jewelry, strip to the waist and put on a dressing gown that can be unfastened in front.
Mammography, as a regular mandatory examination, is recommended for women who have reached the age of forty. It is at this age that experts advise to do the first mammogram and keep a record of visits with a mammologist. After 50 years with a preventive purpose, the procedure is recommended to be performed annually.